Special Education Subsequent Teaching Endorsement
Teachers who have an Illinois Professional Educator License endorsed for early childhood education, elementary education or secondary education may add a subsequent teaching endorsement in special education through this standards-based sequence. Teachers who have only a teaching credential from another state or who have only a temporary, substitute or other specialized teaching credential are not eligible for this program. Candidates for subsequent teaching endorsement must be admitted to NLU.
Eligible candidates begin by completing SPE 569 which includes the development of a college-approved electronic portfolio as a self-assessment of the extent to which they have met the state standards for special education endorsement. A faculty team from the new endorsement area reviews the portfolio and determines additional requirements for endorsement. Candidates then meet with an advisor from special education to plan a personalized program.
At the conclusion of this personalized program, candidates complete a practicum experience, SPE 575, the extent of which is determined by the faculty team, taking into account candidates' previous experience and state standards. At the conclusion of the practicum, candidates may apply for state endorsement in special education.
In addition to National College of Education Graduate Admission Requirements, applicants must:
- Have a valid and current Illinois Professional Educator License
- Have two years of classroom experience, within the last five years, prior to beginning SPE 569
- Have written verification of classroom experience from a previous or current employer
- Sit for an interview with a faculty advisor
- Note: Applicants who were certified originally out-of-state or before 1994 need to pass the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or ISBE approved alternative
- Note: Candidates may be eligible for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid office for more information.
|SPE 569||Portfolio Development for Subsequent Teaching Endorsement||
|SPE 575||Subsequent Certification Practicum||
3 TO 6
Note: Additional courses are selected in collaboration with an advisor to complete certification standards.