Elementary Education Subsequent Teaching Endorsement
Teachers who have an Illinois Professional Educator License endorsed for early childhood education, secondary education or special education may add a subsequent teaching endorsement in elementary education through this standards-based sequence. Teachers who have only a teaching credential from another state or who have only a temporary, substitute or other specialized teaching credential are not eligible for this program. Candidates for subsequent teaching endorsement must be admitted to NLU.
Eligible candidates begin by completing ELE 569 which includes the development of a college-approved electronic portfolio as a self-assessment of the extent to which they have met the state standards for elementary endorsement. A faculty team from the new endorsement area will review the portfolio and determine additional requirements for endorsement. Candidates then meet with an advisor from elementary education to plan a personalized program.
At the conclusion of this personalized program, candidates complete a practicum experience, ELE 575, the extent of which is determined by the faculty team, taking into account candidates' previous experience and state standards. At the conclusion of the practicum, candidates may apply for state endorsement in elementary education.
In addition to National College of Education Graduate Admission Requirements, applicants must:
- Have a valid and current Illinois Professional Educator License
- Have two years of classroom experience, within the last five years, prior to beginning ELE 569
- Have written verification of classroom experience from a previous or current employer
- Sit for an interview with a faculty advisor
- Note: Applicants who were certified originally out-of-state or before 1994 need to pass the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or ISBE approved alternative
- Note: Candidates may be eligible for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid office for more information.
|ELE 569||Portfolio Development for Subsequent Certification||
|ELE 575||Subsequent Certification Practicum||
3 TO 6
Note: Additional courses are selected in collaboration with an advisor to complete certification standards.