Elementary Education Subsequent Certification
Teachers who have an Illinois teaching certificate in early childhood education, secondary education or special education may add certification in elementary education through this standards-based sequence. Teachers who have only a teaching certificate from another state or who have only a temporary, substitute or other specialized teaching certificate are not eligible for this program. Candidates for subsequent certification must be admitted to NLU.
Eligible candidates begin by completing ELE 569 which includes the development of a college-approved electronic portfolio as a self-assessment of the extent to which they have met the state standards for elementary certification. A faculty team from the new certification area will review the portfolio and determine additional requirements for the certification. Candidates then meet with an advisor from elementary education to plan a personalized program.
At the conclusion of this personalized program, candidates complete a practicum experience, ELE 575, the extent of which is determined by the faculty team, taking into account candidates' previous experience and state standards. At the conclusion of the practicum, candidates may apply for state certification in elementary education.
In addition to National College of Education Graduate Admission Requirements, applicants must:
- Submit official scores from the Miller Analogies Test (waived if applicant has a master’s degree)
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of coursework
- Have valid and current Illinois teacher certification
- Note: Applicants who were certified originally out-of-state or before 1994 need to pass the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or ISBE approved alternative
- Note: Candidates may be eligible for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid office for more information.
|ELE569||Portfolio Development for Subsequent Certification||
|ELE575||Subsequent Certification Practicum||
Note: Additional courses are selected in collaboration with an advisor to complete certification standards.