Reading Teacher Endorsement
The reading sequence of courses at NLU fulfills the State of Illinois guidelines for the preparation of Reading Teachers. Candidates are referred to the website of the Illinois State Board of Education for specific requirements, updates and amendments.
- 24 SH of Reading courses
- A grade of “C” or better in all coursework is required
- Candidates must pass the Reading Teacher Test #177 or Reading Specialist test #176
- Candidates must be admitted to Reading, M.Ed., Reading, M.S.Ed. or Reading C.A.S. program
- Teacher certification
- Membership in professional literacy organization
- An electronic portfolio
- Note: Candidates may be eligible for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid office for more information.
Reading Program - 20 SH
|RLR501||Teaching Beginning Reading||
|RLR502||Teaching Comprehension and Content Reading||
|RLL520||Survey of Literature for Children and Adolescents||
|RLL528||Survey of Multicultural Literature K-12||
|RLR510||Diagnosis and Assessment of Reading||
|RLR511||Corrective Techniques for the Reading Specialist||
|RLR592A||Practicum in Remedial Reading A: Elementary||
|RLR592B||Practicum in Remedial Reading B: Grades 6-12||
Reading Electives - 9 SH
Choose 9 SH from RLL
courses with advisor approval.
Note: No workshops are accepted.